Boosting Your Performance in College
College is a critical time in a young person’s life because it is the launching pad that gives them a boost to find a career path. That is why the mindset changes transitioning from high school to college because in college, your goal is to try and use your education to set the foundation for the rest of your career. People tend to be more focused and take more initiative in their studies because they understand the value college can offer.
Sometimes college students can get so caught up in the stresses of schoolwork that they feel like they can’t do anything else with their time. Yes, you should take time to focus on doing well in your studies but being buried in your books all day will not help give you the maximum benefit of college. Students should learn how to live a balanced life in college. Getting involved in activities you enjoy can help reduce stress and make college life easier. Here are some personal tips that I have learned throughout my college experience which have helped enhance my performance:
Clear Your Mind
Take at least one hour out of your day to do an activity that helps you de-stress. I enjoy lifting weights in the mornings because it makes my body feel good and helps give me the energy I need to go about the rest of my day. Everybody has different forms of self-medication. Whether it’s yoga, going for a walk, listening to music, or reading a book, whatever gives you the most satisfaction, set aside time every day to engage in that activity.
Find Your People
Surround yourself with people who will make you and not break you. The key to success is having a great support system to help you along your journey in life. The most successful people in the world did not make it to their destination on their own. They had someone in their life that made a key contribution in their journey and gave them support to help them achieve greatness.
I am beyond blessed to have a great group of guys that I can call my brothers who I have bonded with during my time on campus. They have supported me throughout my journey and have made my college experience more enjoyable. The conversations and memories we share together playing basketball and eating meals are some of the best times I’ve ever had. I feel more confident in myself every time I am around them because of how accepting they are of my personality. Once you find friends who accept you for who you are and not what you have to offer, then you have found yourself some true friends.
Take Online Classes
At first I was skeptical about transitioning from a traditional classroom setting to an online classroom setting, but I have to say it was the best transition that I have made for myself. The online classes allowed me to have more time to myself throughout the day. For college students who work or feel like they don’t have enough time to participate in activities on campus, online classes could help alleviate that. Online classes are self-paced, you get to learn on your own time from anywhere you want just as long as you complete the assignments before the due date. I have been able to have more time to become involved with my job at Pearson by participating in the projects and sales calls that they have us do. I’ve had time to check out two different career fairs on campus to look for possible internships, done mock interviews, took a tour of a company that I could be interning with during the summer, volunteer for my national honors society, play basketball with my friends, and so much more.
Don’t let the stresses of your schoolwork keep you from enjoying your time in college. It only makes up 10 percent of your full experience. So, what makes up the other 90 percent? The memories you create with friends, finding your purpose, learning how to live on your own, networking with people who can offer you valuable opportunities, getting involved in activities on campus. Once you figure out how to balance your life in college, the more opportunities you will unlock for yourself.
Pearson Students: What makes up your other 90 percent? How do you maximize your time? Share by commenting below!
Do you have a compelling story or student success tips you’d like to see published on the Pearson Students blog? If you are a college student and interested in writing for us – click here to pitch your idea and get started!