Pearson Announces Wide Range of Teaching Effectiveness Programs to Get Educators Ready for Common Core State Standards
Personalized Learning Opportunities and Comprehensive Professional Development Offerings Ease Transition to Ensuring College and Career-Readiness for Students
Boston, MA, April 25, 2011 — Upwards of two million school teachers across the U.S. are slated to begin implementing new and rigorous academic programs in their mathematics and reading/language arts classrooms over the next three years as most states sign on to the new Common Core State Standards for college and career-readiness.
The widespread adoption of the standards — 41 states, two territories and the District of Columbia are on board (to date) — means that school districts are gearing up to ensure that they are ready to meet the new international benchmarks designed to improve U.S. students’ global standing and get them ready for success in a competitive technology-driven global economy.
“Preparing educators to teach to the new standards represents a significant challenge for schools facing implementation of the Common Core in the next few years,” said Stefan Kohler, who heads up Pearson School’s teaching effectiveness and professional development programs. “Providing training and strategies for effective teaching is the foundation for realizing the full potential of the Common Core, and Pearson has invested in a wide spectrum of programs to support educators in making this transition as seamlessly as possible.”
Building on an extensive research base, Pearson professional development for the Common Core State Standards concentrates on:
- Helping schools and educators understand what the new standards mean, diagnosing current practices, and developing actionable plans;
- Embedding new instructional approaches to address critical content shifts and the overall goals the Common Core State Standards; and
- Implementing sound assessment practices to gauge student progress toward meeting the new standards.
Pearson’s Common Core State Standards professional development opportunities include:
- Professional Development for Administrators and Teachers – Pearson’s research-based workshops can be delivered separately or in a series. The continuum of more than 20 offerings focuses on practical application and implementation of the Common Core State Standards, covering a wide range of topics that include: mathematics and English/language arts (ELA), with tributary ELA paths that emphasize social studies and science; English language learners and special needs students; and academic behavior. Pearson also offers observational and performance assessment training and tools that help establish a culture of continuous improvement and engagement.
- Strategic Planning and Consultative Services – Pearson works shoulder-to-shoulder with school leaders to assess current instructional practices and develop a customized Common Core State Standards implementation plan that includes data analysis and the alignment of curriculum and instruction. Curriculum mapping is also offered as an optional service.
- On-site, Job-embedded Assistance – To further Common Core State Standards implementation, schools can opt to roll out additional on-site, embedded training where Pearson works with educators, coaching and monitoring daily classroom activities.
- Learning Teams for Capacity Building – Pearson Learning Teams, an evidence-based model for developing teacher effectiveness and distributing instructional leadership, helps teachers build sustainable capacity to translate Common Core-related professional development into improved practice. Tools and on-site training help assure effective teaching of the standards.
- Whole School CCSS Implementation Support – For school leadership teams involved in or seeking holistic change and Common Core implementation, Pearson offers a comprehensive suite of change management services based on more than a decade of Pearson America’s Choice school improvement work.
For more information about Pearson and the Common Core State Standards, visit http://www.pearsoned.com/commoncore.
Pearson has as its mission to work side-by-side with states, districts, teachers, students and parents to ensure that every child is prepared for college and career. For more, visit http://www.pearsoned.com/commoncore.
Media contact: Kate.miller(at)pearson(dot)com; 800-745-8489