Ed Week: Pearson’s Peter Cohen addresses common core “alignment” issue
Education Week (Curriculum Matters blog) – Catherine Gewertz
Peter Cohen, the chief executive officer of Pearson’s K-12 division, stopped by on Monday for a wide-ranging chat with us at EdWeek. He noted that Pearson and other big educational publishing-and-services companies have been adapting or creating materials in response to states’ shifting standards for years now, so they’re used to that process. What’s more, Cohen noted, some of Pearson’s authors served on the panels that shaped the [common core] standards, allowing the company to create or adapt materials in a way that reflected the guidelines as they were taking shape. The word he used is “coherent”—so that Pearson materials are “coherent with” the new standards. Whatever phrasing you want to use, Cohen said he is “confident” that Pearson’s adapted and newly created materials embody the requirements of the common standards.
- Helping to Turn the Flywheel of Change (fwd.pearson.com)
- On a Mission to Help (fwd.pearson.com)
- Pearson Introduces Schoolwide Improvement Model at National Summit (pearsoned.com)
- States to launch ‘IT readiness’ tool for common assessments (pearsoned.com)
- Pearson Hosts Free Webinars For Educators on Common Core State Standards (pearsoned.com)