Can you tell a story with data?
Enter the StatCrunch Contest and win up to $2,500!
Collect, Crunch, Communicate, and Win!
Data can tell a story, and this is your chance to be a storyteller. Use StatCrunch reports to produce a compelling, persuasive report — you could win up to $2,500!
Registration is free and access to StatCrunch will be provided.
Three finalists will be chosen on the following criteria to present their data stories to win:
Collect: most creative use of an additional dataset
Crunch: best insights from data
Communicate: best visualizations and presentation
To enter, you must be enrolled in an introductory level statistics course in the United States between February 1 and April 1, 2017.
Official Contest Description and Rules
In order to enter the StatCrunch Contest you must agree to the Official Contest Description and Rules. Please read these rules carefully prior to entering the Contest.
By submitting a Report and/or Entry, Contestant agrees to be legally bound by these Rules, which constitute a legal agreement between Contestant and Pearson Education, Inc. and its parent, subsidiaries and affiliates (referred to in these Rules as “Pearson,” “we,” “us,” and “our”). All Contestants shall be subject to these Rules.
Pearson may revise these Rules during the conduct of the Contest and any modification will be effective upon posting to the website or other portal associated with the Contest. While Pearson will make reasonable efforts to inform Contestants of such modifications, Contestants should review these Rules from time to time to ensure continued awareness of any changes to these Rules.
Contestant agrees as follows:
1. Contest Theme: Data can tell a story and this is your chance to be a storyteller. The StatCrunch Contest is designed to reward student-contestants who use StatCrunch.com to analyze a dataset to produce an interesting and compelling story about data. The more creative and insightful you are with your story about data, the more likely you are to win! You are encouraged to go beyond the surface level to tell a story not easily seen at first glance.
2. General Description of Contest: Statistics is about telling a story with data. Many interesting and unique stories can be told with the same data set. The StatCrunch Contest asks students to analyze a provided dataset combined with another data set of their choosing to tell a compelling story with the data. Students are asked to submit a written report through www.StatCrunch.com including visualizations and their additional data set to enhance their story. Data Set: http://www.statcrunch.com/app/index.php?dataid=2062944 This link will work if you are already signed in to StatCrunch. Use this data set on the nutritional information from popular fast food chains and one additional data set of your choosing to tell an interesting insightful story in your report submission.
3. Prizes/Rules and Conditions to Awarding Prizes: The odds of winning any prize depends on the number of eligible Entries received during the Contest Period and the quality of the Entries vis a vis the judging criteria. Pearson will award the following prizes:
- A single First Place Prize in the amount of $2,500 (United States Dollars).
- A single Second Place Prize in the amount of $1,000 (United States Dollars).
- A single Third Place Prize in the amount of $500 (United States Dollars).
- The Contest is open and limited to students who are enrolled in an undergraduate institution and introductory statistics course within the United States between 2/1/17 and 4/1/17.
- Registration will be open from February 1, 2017 through March 15, 2017.
- If you are chosen as a finalist, you will need to provide a copy of your course schedule and your instructor’s email address to prove course enrollment.
- Contestants can work in groups if they choose, but registration and final reports must be submitted by one individual and if you are selected as a finalist only you will be invited for a presentation to determine placement of the first, second, and third place prizes.
- Upon registration you will receive a welcome email with an access code good for 6-month access to www.StatCrunch.com as well as other pertinent information including your assignment and data set so you can start telling your story.
- Contestants will use the following shared data set in StatCrunch in addition to another data set of their choosing to enhance their story:
- http://www.statcrunch.com/app/index.php?dataid=2062944 (This link will work if you are already signed into StatCrunch)
- Title – Nutritional Data for Fast Food 2017
- Owner – StatCrunchhelp
- Last Edited – January 6th, 2017
- http://www.statcrunch.com/app/index.php?dataid=2062944 (This link will work if you are already signed into StatCrunch)
- Judges will select 3 finalists to present their stories and award 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes based on criteria:
- Collect – Most interesting/creative additional data set used by contestant.
- Crunch – Best visualizations in final report.
- Communicate – Best insight, story, and questions to further explore regarding the data.
- Only the authors of the top 3 reports as decided by our judges will be contacted regarding the details of their submissions in order to receive information for their final presentations.
- Final presentations will be no longer than 5 minutes with additional time for questions from the judges.
- Final presentations will be made virtually and finalists will be contacted with more information.
- Contest judges include Rob Gould, Mike Sullivan, Rebecca Wong, Nathan Torno, Webster West, Dianne Hollister.
- All submissions will be made using the www.StatCrunch.com reports feature.
- Contestants will be invited to a virtual informational StatCrunch demonstration in February 2017 to introduce them to the program and explain how to submit their final report. This webinar will be recorded and emailed to all registrants. Other webinars or emails may follow with tips and deadlines.
- Contestants may receive periodic emails throughout the duration of the contest with tips, ideas, and things to consider to keep them on pace to submit their report by the deadline.
- Pearson reserves the right to amend the rules for this contest.
- Contestants will be notified by April 17, 2017 if they are a finalist. Finalists will present the week of May 8th, 2017 and winners will be announced shortly after.
4. Sponsor: The Contest is sponsored by Pearson Education.
5. Contestants and Eligibility: Participation in the Contest is limited to students who satisfy the eligibility requirements set forth below throughout the Contest Period (as defined below). To be eligible to submit a report for the duration of the Contest Period, you must:
- Be a legal resident of the United States or Canada (excluding Quebec);
- Be at least eighteen (18 years of age);
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate post-secondary program at a U.S. higher education institution as a full-time or part-time student and not currently employed as a statistician;
- Be prepared, upon request, to provide Pearson with transcripts or other documentation from your institution as proof of enrollment or admission status;
- Register for any accounts (e.g., StatCrunch.com), agree to identified terms and conditions, and provide registration information (e.g., name, email address, etc.) that may be required by Pearson for purposes of operating and/or participating in this Contest; and
- Have access to the Internet as of February 1, 2017.
6. How to Enter:
- To enter complete the survey at this link and you will be emailed your welcome packet which includes your project assignment and the instructions for submitting your project.
7. When to Enter and Deadlines:
- Final reports may be submitted by Contestants between February 2nd, 2017 and April 1st, 2017, no later than 11:59 PM MT, April 1st, 2017.
- CONTESTANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE CORRESPONDING TIME ZONE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS.
8. Finalist and Winner Selection: Pearson will contact the Finalists during the Final Selection Period by telephone and/or email. If a potential Finalist does not respond to the notification attempt within five days from the first notification attempt, then such potential Finalist will be disqualified and an alternate potential Finalist will be selected from among all eligible Entries received based on the judging criteria. With respect to notification by telephone, such notification will be deemed given when the potential Finalist engages in a live conversation with Pearson or when a message is left on the potential Finalist’s voicemail service or answering machine by Pearson, whichever occurs first. Except where prohibited by law, each potential Finalist may be required to provide additional information. Pearson reserves the right to disqualify any Finalists and Entries if Pearson is not satisfied with the Finalist’s response or the additional information provided and if such response does not occur within the timeframe stipulated by Pearson. All notification requirements, as well as other requirements within these Rules, will be strictly enforced. Pearson reserves the right to name substitute Finalists in Pearson’s sole discretion.In the event that no qualifying or eligible Entries are received, no prize will be awarded. Determinations of Judges are final and binding.No transfer or substitution of prize(s) is allowed, except at Pearson’s sole discretion.All taxes, fees, and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the Finalists. Upon request, Finalists shall provide Pearson with a current W-9 Form as well as any other documentation required by Pearson to distribute the prizes.
9. Indemnification: To the maximum extent permitted by law, Contestant shall defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Judges and Pearson, its affiliates and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or accruing from (a) any material uploaded or otherwise provided by the Contestant (including Idea Proposals and Entries) that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy, (b) any misrepresentation made by the Contestant in connection with the Contest; (c) any non-compliance by the Contestant with these Rules; and (d) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to the Contestant’s involvement with the Contest.
10. Publicity Release: By entering the Contest, Contestant grants Pearson the limited right to use, publicly display, publish, and reproduce Contestant’s name and/or likeness, city, state and country of residence, including any video and other images and audio files submitted by Contestant in connection with the Contest, for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation (collectively, “Publicity Materials”). Except as prohibited by applicable law, Contestant hereby waives any right Contestant may have to inspect or approve the Publicity Materials, or to receive compensation of any kind on account of such use based on claims of the Contestant as to the rights of privacy, publicity, notoriety or any other rights arising out of or relating to any use by Pearson of the Contestant’s name, likeness or appearance, and/or the content of their Entry.
11. Privacy: Contestants agree that personal data entered during the registration, including name, mailing address, phone number, and email address may be processed, stored, shared and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the Contest. By entering, Contestants agree to the transmission, processing, sharing, and storage of this personal data in the United States.Contestants also understand this data may be used by Pearson in order to verify a Contestant’s identity, postal address, and telephone number in the event an Entry qualifies for a prize, and otherwise as reasonably necessary to conduct, administer, and support the Contest. Pearson will use reasonable efforts to protect the security and confidentiality of Contestant’s personal information, and Contestants have the right to access, review, rectify, or cancel any personal data held by Pearson in connection with the Contest by writing to Pearson at the address listed above.A Contestant may refuse to provide required data to Pearson, but if a Contestant does not provide the data required at registration, that Contestant’s Entry will be ineligible.
12. Elimination: Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by any Contestant including information concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, or ownership or license rights, or non-compliance with these Rules, or the like may result in the immediate disqualification of the Contestant. Pearson further reserves the right to disqualify any submission that Pearson believes in its sole and unfettered discretion infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party, otherwise does not comply with these Rules, or violates applicable law. A Contestant may be prohibited from participating in this Contest if Pearson reasonably believes that the Contestant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception or other unfair voting or other practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other Contestants, Pearson, or the Judges.
13. Right to Cancel, Modify, or Disqualify: If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, Pearson reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Each Contestant who registers for the Contest will receive email notification of any such action. Pearson further reserves the right to disqualify any Contestant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Contest. Any attempt by a Contestant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Pearson reserves the right to seek damages from any such Contestant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
14. Winner’s List: A list of the winners will be posted on the Contest website on or around the Award Date.